Allow us to “peak” your curiosity with the following facts you may not have known about the gem of the Sierra Nevada!
- Something in the Water: Lake Tahoe’s water has been named the best-tasting in the U.S.
- Give Them an Inch: One inch of Lake Tahoe water equals about 3.33 billion gallons of water.
- Old Age: The lake is estimated to be 2 million years old, among the world’s 20 oldest lakes.
- Getting Deep: The deepest point in the lake is 1,645 ft.—the Empire State Building wouldn’t even break the surface!
- Tall trees: Out of the common Tahoe pine trees, the Sugar Pine is the tallest and grows up to 200 feet.
- Birds the Word: The Peregrine Falcon of Lake Tahoe has been clocked at 200 mph.
- Lake Tahoe Loch Ness? Some have claimed a prehistoric creature similar to the famed monster lives in the lake, with the most recent sighting taking place in 1972.
- Popularity Contest: Lake Tahoe hosts about 15 million visitors per year.
If you plan on being one of the visitors that come behold the wonder of Lake Tahoe this year, book a stay at Red Wolf Lodge at Olympic Valley, a cozy alpine getaway located in the heart of North Lake Tahoe close to all the year-round adventures!